Monday, November 1, 2010

Surprise!!!

My dear readers,

I have a secret. A dirty, dirty little secret:




Yeepppppppppppp.  I write a cooking blog and my fridge looks like this.  How pathetic is this?  This picture actually does not do justice to the atrocity that is my fridge.  If you strip away the food that is past date, I'm left with some Arnold Sandwich Thins, some not-crunchy pickles, 4 sticks of butter, walnuts, a box of OJ and condiments.  I ate the one remaining egg, the buttermilk is bad and the zucchini has a lovely furry hair on it.  Except I have condiments! 






Lots and lots of condiments.  Even Franks Hot Sauce.  And a wicked full thing of relish.  Man, I love me some relish, but relish a meal does not make. 

I can't remember if I have mentioned before, but living on my own has created a giant financial shift for me.  I no longer share the household expenses with someone who has deeper pockets than me, but instead all the bills are my own.  Hello Comcast.   Goodbye $140 a month.  Stuff like that.  In living on my own, I needed to create a budget and for the first time in recent memory, I actually needed to stick to it.  Once where there was cushion, now there is none.  


Hell, I think I even had more money in college.  


Well, at least I am skinnier now than I was in college.  Right??


Anyways, what this means is that I have a food and entertainment budget every two weeks.  And once it's gone, it's gone.  I stick to cash only (for the most part) and I am constantly thinking ahead.  The past two weeks have been busy with various items - day trips to NYC and birthdays and lots of wine drinking (okay, let's be honest, that's all the time).  And with all the those expenditures, I have been hemorrhaging money.  Either way, I vowed that this month would be the month where I didn't go over my budget.  


Hence the state of my fridge as above.  I didn't cave.  I. Win.


But honestly, it hasn't been that bad.  I have been making due with what I have - eating steamed carrots, plenty of grilled cheese, spinach and even some lipton side dishes.  I haven't been eating like the rockstar that I have in the past months, but I have been forced to be more creative and make due with what was in the fridge.  I am proud of myself.  Healthy, creative AND I have stuck with my calorie count for the week.  And I was financially responsible.


But seriously, thank god that I get paid today.  While this was a great exercise in discipline, I can't wait to hit Shaws and buy some serious food.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment