Thursday, November 4, 2010

Senegalese Peanut Soup Adventures!

You've probably noticed that I have been obsessed with soups this fall.

Good news: Soups are a healthy choice when they are low in sodium.

From a Yahoo Health article: You can count yourself out of the statistics if you eat a bowl of soup at least once a day. Nutritious low-salt soups will nourish you as they flush excess wastes from your body. It has been found that people who eat one serving of soup per day lose more weight than those who eat the same amount of calories, but don’t eat soup. Homemade soup is your best bet, because canned soups tend to be loaded with salt and chemicals.

I stumbled upon two soups by the same name - Senegalese Peanut Soup. Click here to hear how to pronounce Senegalese.

I decided to try both recipes. This post is the first installment. I'll write soon about the other version. I found this version from Redbook Magazine.

This version took less time because there was no pureeing.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 cups of butternut squash, diced
2 cups of chopped onion (I used white onions)
1 tablespoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons of curry powder (YUM)
1/4 teaspoons of ground red pepper (I doubled this because 1/4 teaspoon is way too wimpy)
3 tablespoons of flour
14 oz of diced tomatoes (I used some that I had frozen)
4 cups of chicken broth
14 oz of unsweetened coconut milk
2/3 cups chunky peanut butter
2 cups of cooked, diced chicken
1/2 teaspoons salt

Start by heating the oil on medium heat in a large boiling pot or Dutch oven. Toss in the onion, garlic, squash, curry powder, and red pepper.

Cook for two minutes. Stir and turn the temperature down to low. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes.

Sprinkle in the flour and tomatoes. Stir and cook for another minute or so.

Stir in the peanut butter, coconut milk, and chicken broth. Boil. Then, lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then, add the chicken and salt. Cook for another two minutes.

Serve!

My leftovers are gone, and that makes me sad :(.

When I make this soup in the future, I will probably add more chunky peanut butter. It could have used more peanuty flavor, in my opinion. Also, I'd add more curry powder and possibly some hot sauce. I love uber flavorful food. You many want to experiment with the recipe. I also do not think that the chicken was 100% necessary. I'm striving to eat less meat, and this is definitely a recipe that would still be very delicious without the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment