Monday, November 8, 2010

Senegalese Peanut Soup, Round 2

Last week I wrote about trying two different soup recipes by the same name. Read more here.

Oddly enough, the flavors were similar, but the textures were completely different.

This recipe is from the Food Network. Find it here.

Ingredients:
2 lbs of sweet potatoes (I used more than that because I love them)














4 tablespoons of peanut oil
12 Roma tomatoes, seeded and halved















1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
2 tablespoons of curry power
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
2 cups of diced onions
2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
2 cups of smooth peanut butter
2 quarts of chicken broth <-- that's a lot!
10 oz of unsweetened coconut milk

Start by roasting the sweet potatoes. Drizzle them with 1 tablespoon of the oil, roast on a baking sheet at 375 degrees. Cook them until they're tender. It took me 30-35 minutes. Next, roast your tomatoes. Coat the tomato halves with 1 tablespoon of the oil and put them on a baking sheet. Season with some of the salt/pepper. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.













Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Toss in the curry powder. Enjoy the aroma. Stir for two minutes.

Add the onions for three more minutes. Now, add the garlic and season with the cayenne. Next, add the peanut butter. Stir.













Peal the sweet potatoes. The skin fell right off when I did it. Add the softened sweet potatoes to the pot. It looks kind of like intestines in a not cute way. Fortunately, it smelled and tasted awesome.

Now add the coconut milk and chicken broth. Boil.


Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.

Here comes the fun part. I oddly really enjoy using my food processor. I had to do several batches because my food processor is mini. Because I had to do so many batches, it cooled. So, I returned it to heat before serving. Season with salt/pepper.

This was one of my favorite soup recipes. It was super flavorful.

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to try this one, Amy! I am loving this blog, btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,
    I can't wait to here how it goes! I'll check my food processor box and get you the item #, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I finally got around to making this last night - so yummy! And the cayenne pepper really gives it a kick. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete