Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Stuffed Turkey Burgers

I think about food, oh, 97% of my day.  In the morning, I am already thinking about lunch... during lunch I am thinking about what I want to eat  for dinner.  Most of the time I dream about things I want to eat, like meatball subs, pad thai, steak and cheeses, etc.  You know, things that I could totally indulge in, except if I did it with any regularity, I would need an entirely new wardrobe.  Gotta stay at fightin' weight!

One afternoon I had a burger craving and the recipe below was born.

Stuffed Turkey Burgers:
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • green onion
  • onion
  • garlic
  • soy sauce
  • cheese
  • egg
  • bread crumbs



Start by chopping up some garlic, onion and some green onion.  You don't need much - this will be working into your ground turkey.


BEHOLD!  A mini food processor!  Santa Mom brought me this for Christmas last year and this was, very sadly, the first time I have used it.  I guess I was previously intimidated by it.... looked like a lot of clean up for minimal results.  In fact, this thing's blade had seen more action cutting my finger in moving it all around the last  nine months.  


In went the garlic, onions and soy sauce and down went the button.  AMAZING.  I can't believe I haven't used this thing before.  What a little powerful chopper!  Given my studio size kitchen, with extremely limited counter and cabinet space, this perfectly replaces a much larger food processor.  

Once you've minced and chopped, work into your ground turkey.  Add in some bread crumbs and egg.  These two ingredients will act as a binding agent to keep your burgers from falling apart.  Mix only enough properly mix.  Because of the lower fat count (than beef), ground turkey tends to get tough and dry out in cooking.  Form into very, very thin patties.  I used a spatula to press down and my fingers to properly form the edges.




Transfer your flat turkey patties to a broiler pan.  Cover with your favorite chopped cheese.  I used a manchego.  I love cheese, so I piled mine high.  You stuff a burger by stacking two burgers on top of each other and pinching the edges together, much like you might do a calzone.  Be sure to leave a bit of room around the edge of the burger like I did. 

A cheese free perimeter if you will.  :)





These are the final products - cheese goodness stuffed inside.  Broil on high, with a layer of tin foil covering them.  This will keep the burger tops from over cooking, but allowing them to cook all the way through.  I broiled them covered for 20 minutes, flipped for 10 and broiled them uncovered for another 10 minutes, until golden brown.


These babies went in between some low calorie sandwich thins, a side of steamed asparagus and some relish.  Instant weekday dinner!



1 comment:

  1. Yum! Somehow I missed this post. Those look very delicious. I love the cheesy goodness. Do you think you'll be addicted to your food processor now?

    ReplyDelete