Friday, November 19, 2010

Chicken Rotini Soup (for the soul)

Maybe Amy and I should change the name of this blog to My Kitchen, My Soup, because I think that's all that's been coming out of our kitchen's these days.  Soup is so warm and yummmy on these cool, blustery fall days, so I will chalk it up to that.  But there are worse streaks in life to be on (like fried chicken and deep dish pizza), so at least a Soup Kick is healthy... and good for your soul, obviously.  

I had some left over chicken from the BBQ pizza, so I searched high and low for a tasty chicken soup recipe.  I found this on Cooking Light and adapted it to my cooking whims, as per usual strategy.  

Chicken Rotini Soup

Nine ingredients about to become one.

  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (32-ounce) carton fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup prechopped onion
  • 1/2 cup prechopped celery
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 6 ounces fusilli pasta
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded skinless, boneless chicken breast
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

This is an easy one, so let's get down to the business of Chicken Soup makin'....
  
First, get out your Ginzu's and start chopping your carrots, celery and onion.   There's no need to arrange them in equal parts in a bowl like I did, but just go with it.  It was 11 pm at night and I guess I was feeling artsy.
While you're choppin' cut up a few chicken breast and toss into a pan to cook up.  Don't over cook.  No need to do anything fancy beyond a bit of salt and pepper and a dash of olive oil.
Once you've wiped away your onion tears, toss your vegetables into a sauce pan with a little bit of oil and the salt/pepper and let these bad boys soften up.  
Tender is the correct word, I beleive. 
Smells like home cooking.
Once your veggies are soft, add the broth and water and bring to a boil.  Once you're boiling, add in your pasta and cook the pasta al dente.  (About seven to nine minutes.)  Once those are in, take a taste - need more pepper?  Possibly some salt?  I needed more of each.  Plus, then I got way crazy and added some oregano.  This soup isn't supposed to be terribly over seasoned, but I did want various flavors and oregano just felt right.  As a final step, toss in the chicken to warm it up and you're set.  I let mine simmer for a while longer and then at 11:45 at night, I sat down with a bowl on my couch and watched Hell's Kitchen. 
As a secret closet bad ass, I've always wanted to order pizza at midnight and crack a bottle of champagne while watching TV in bed.  This totally wasn't the same, I get that, but I did feel like it was sort of the same concept. Right? 
ugh.  Getting older means being more practical and that is a giant suck.
Top with parsley and you're good to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment