Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sweet Potato Soup

I have fallen in love with sweet potatoes. This is one of the best soups that I have ever made. The sweet potato and rosemary combo were perfection.

I don't have TV, but sometimes I watch chefs from the Today Show. Most Today Show segments are posted on their website. There is even a tab for recipes.

I have made a lot of Giada's recipes, and they are always very flavorful.

I decided to make Creamy sweet potato and rosemary soup.

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 large shallots, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt
Black pepper
2 stems fresh rosemary
2 pounds (about 2 to 3) sweet potatoes, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
3 tablespoons maple syrup

Confession: I had to Google "shallot" when I was grocery shopping. It's a little embarrassing. I had no idea what it was or that it was even a vegetable. I am so relieved to be part of the "I Know What a Shallot is Club" now. Whew!

First I started by melting the butter and oil in the pot. Chop up the garlic and shallots and add them to the pot. Then, add the chicken broth. Some of the broth that I used was from the freezer. Add the sweet potatoes (OMG YUM) and rosemary. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper. I'm guilty of over seasoning everything.
Boil. Reduce heat/simmer and spend the next 20 minutes watching Modern Family. It's my new favorite show.

The aroma filled my little apartment.
Next, I was supposed to remove the rosemary. This was tricky. As you can see, the rosemary needles fell off. I was able to individual pick out each rogue rosemary needle. It was a pain in the a$$.

After removing the rosemary, either blend or use a food processor until it's smooth. I used my food processor, and it took several batches.

After it's all blended, whisk in the maple syrup (Umm hello! YUM) and mascarpone cheese. Return to low heat and season again.


Serve with crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment