Tuesday, October 19, 2010

PW's Meatloaf

I love PW. If you do not subscribe to her blog, you should. She's a blogging genius. Her photos are gorgeous, and her recipes are delicious. Just ignore all of the home-schooling posts. Those don't seem to fit with the vibe of her blog, but maybe it's just me!

I have made several of PW's recipes, and I am usually pleased.

Recently she posted about her favorite meatloaf.

I decided to give it a try!

Simple ingredients:
  • 1 cup Whole Milk
  • 6 slices White Bread
  • 2 pounds Ground Beef
  • 1 cup (heaping) Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • ¼ teaspoons Seasoned Salt
  • ¾ teaspoons Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • ⅓ cups Minced Flat-leaf Parsley
  • 4 whole Eggs Beaten
  • 10 slices Thin/regular Bacon
Pour the milk over the bread.Let it soak.

Add the parsley, Parmesan, ground beef, and salt/pepper. Beat the eggs and toss them in.

Then, I mixed with my hands. It was a great stress reliever.

Shape it into a loaf and put it on the broiler pan. This was my first time using my new broiler pan.

After the shape is constructed, add the bacon layer. Tuck the ends under the loaf.






Next, mix the sauce.


Sauce ingredients
  • 1-½ cup Ketchup
  • ⅓ cups Brown Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
  • Tabasco To Taste (I used Frank's Hot Sauce instead)
Layer the sauce onto the meatloaf in three separate steps. 1. Before cooking. 2. After baking for 45 minutes. 3. Right before serving (presumably after 60 minutes of baking).



The recipe instructs to bake for 60 minutes at 350, but I ended up baking it for approximately 90 minutes! I kept checking it, and the beef was pink. I am starting to wonder if my oven isn't accurate.

This was definitely one of those recipes that tasted even better as a leftover. The BF loved it. The bacon really blended with the meat when I reheated it. Does that happen often to you? Sometimes I think it's because the flavors need to rest. Sometimes I think that the food needed that extra heat intensity of reheating in a microwave or oven.

I froze pieces of this meatloaf with potatoes. I'm looking forward to eating it on a snowy December day.

What is your favorite meatloaf recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment