Friday, October 1, 2010

Tomato-Basil Soup

I got this recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks.

You can buy it here. I received it as a gift from my BF's parents.

Last week I tried the Tomato-Basil Soup that is a copycat from Applebee's.

Making this soup was my first opportunity to use my newly purchased food processor!

I really wanted to buy a big, expensive food processor, but I said to myself,

"Self, you are not the Duggars. You live alone. You are not feeding a family of 21."

Back to the recipe..

Ingredients:
5 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
5 cups of V8
16 fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup minced onion
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
1 stick of melted butter
Salt and pepper

On medium heat, combine the tomatoes and juice in a cooking pot for 30 min.


Add the Italian seasoning, basil, minced onion, and crushed garlic.
Next, I poured this mixture into my food processor. The recipe in the book suggests pureeing with a hand blender. I'll have to put a immersion blender on my Christmas list.Once it's pureed to the desired consistency, pour it into a crock pot, set to low. Slowly add in the butter and cream. Finally, add the salt and pepper. Leave it in the crock pot for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Serve with shredded cheese and/or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment