Thursday, October 14, 2010

Grocery Shopping Commuting in the City

Currently, I commute to the grocery store on foot.  Since the weather has been so nice out lately, I typically put on a pair of sneakers and head off to the grocery store where normal people shop.  It's a 1.5 mile walk and it's really not that bad on a gorgeous weekend day.  I like to peruse familiar items in a setting that is familiar with all the grocery shopping experiences of the past.  Things are organized.  I know the brands.  They have specials and good deals. Nothing is strangely organic.  I leave feeling happy and accomplished.

I leave Whole Paychex feeling claustrophobic, confused, poor as sin and filled with anxiety.  So you can see why the 1.5 miles is worth it compared to the convenience of 2 blocks.

Being the planner that I am, I like to plan out my grocery shopping experience based around a few recipes I want to try and also what happens to be on sale in the weekly shopper.  A little organization around grocery shopping goes a long way on a single gal's budget. It's the last minute impulse, "pick it up on the way home" purchases that can mean the difference between drinking Three Buck Chuck and Kim Crawford throughout the month.

A couple weeks ago, I saw that whole chickens were something like .79 cents a pound.  I got excited and then remembered that said chicken would need to be carried the entire 1.5 mile walk home.  I decided it would be a game time decision.

I don't know what came over me, but that day at the grocery store I filled that little cart up with a whole chicken, 1/2 gallon of milk, some buttermilk, a giant thing of chicken stock and a bunch of cans (among various other items).  All I know is that as I hoisted my Earth Friendly Shopping bags filled with $66 worth of (apparently) heavy items, I feared I had made a giant mistake.  The Chicken probably being the mighty one night stand of mistakes - it weighed in at 8 pounds alone.

I made it home with all my goodies, but I am not going to lie, I considered abandoning them along Marlborough Street several times.  I was hoping maybe Tom Brady would come out of his brownstone and offer me a ride back to the Hill, but alas, my dreams were never realized. I schlepped... I stopped about 50 times... I shifted and struggled, but I made it.  Out of sheer curiousity, I weighed myself with the groceries when I got home.

50 freaking pounds.

1.5 miles.

Here's what 50 pounds of groceries looks like:

50 pounds of offending items....

Alas, this is my life now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment