Monday, October 4, 2010

Roasted Pumpkin Apple Soup

Like I said, I have been on a Fall kick lately.... tis the season for all things pumpkin, apple, re-introduction to red wine and bright, vibrant colors.  So when I came across this Roasted Pumpkin Apple Soup recipe from Eating Well, I thought I hit gold.

But in the end, it wasn't so much gold as it was sh*tty runner's up ribbon:


woh wohhhhhhh

It's not like it was inedible... it just didn't live up to these grand expectations that I had had for it.  I'll share it with you because no two taste preferences are the same and maybe this soup will excite the pants off you.

Roasted Pumpkin Apple Soup
  • 4 pounds pie pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks (see Tip)
  • 4 large sweet-tart apples, such as Empire, Cameo or Braeburn, unpeeled, cored and cut into eighths
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
  • 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
I used butternut squash instead of pumpkin because I love butternut squash.  (At least in ravioli's and doused in butter I do.)  I also skipped the hazelnuts/oil because they are expensive and I didn't spot them in the nut aisle in the first five seconds and I lost patience.  I imagine there might have been more depth to the soup had I brought in this much needed nutty flavor.  

Step 1:  Chop up all the pumpkin or squash and apples into chunks.  This was time consuming and I really had to put some back into it.  I think I got a solid gun workout with my butternut chopping. 

Step 2: Toss both with EVOO, salt and pepper and layer on a baking pan.  Roast at 450 for about 30 minutes.

Step 3:  After 30, mix in sage and roast for another 20 or so until softened and semi mushy.

Step 4:  In smaller batches - take pumpkin/apple mush and blend in a blender with 2 cups of broth.  I did three different batches.  Transfer all to a saucepan and warm thoroughly for six to ten minutes.

Step 5: Chop nuts and sprinkle on top. 

Easy right?  Here's what it should have come out looking like:

EatingWell.com
 So much potential right?  Here's how mine ended up looking:

Taken courtesy of iPhone.




Sort of looks like Baby Food huh?  I added some shaved Parmesan to mine, hoping it might enhance it.  It didn't. 

Now that I have thoroughly inspired you - get into the kitchen and make your own!  :)


What might I have done to jazz this bad boy up a bit?

2 comments:

  1. The Hazelnuts/oil could have made the difference...

    I have had bad luck with squash. I tried making a spaghetti squash dish last year, and it was disgusting.

    I think this recipe might have been better with the pumpkin. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this recipe for the first time. If the flavour is dull, I plan to add curry powder and other aromatic spices to 'pump' it up.

    ReplyDelete