Sunday, October 10, 2010

Banana Bread... The Sequel

I realize that Amy has already posted a fabulous banana bread recipe, I also have a go-to recipe that I love, LOVE to use.  It's origins are a secret from my past many moons ago, but, if I ever lost this recipe and couldn't recreate it exactly, there's no doubt in my mind I would resort to whatever tactics necessary to recover it*.

I make banana bread regularly.  I like my bananas nearly green, so anytime I see my bananas have faint traces of brown, I am immediately disinterested.  Barf.  I think my future soul mate will like ripe, brown spotted bananas.  We'll call it:  No Bananas Left Behind.  Anyways, as it is now, I have nobody to pick up the slack and eat brown spotted bananas, so I throw them in my freezer.  I currently have six brown frozen bananas in my freezer.  They are all waiting patiently for their own banana bread debut.

Maybe I should consider buying less bananas each week...

Soul Mate:  Do you each Bananas in Stage 5 - 7? CALL ME.  Not shown:  Stage 8 - this is when they get put in the freezer.
KELLEY's Fabulous Banana Bread:
1.5 cups of sugar
1 3/4 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c buttermilk**
1 tsp vanilla***
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas

This recipe is easy: dry ingredients in a bowl.  Mix.  Add wet ingredients.  Mix.  Add Bananas.  Mix.  Pour into 9 x 5.  Bake.  325 degrees.  1 hour, 20 minutes. Eat.  Share.  Love.



Don't be afraid.... this is going to be amazing.

Truth be told, there aren't many tricks to this.  In the past I would throw all the ingredients in a bowl at once, without regard to their wet or dry characteristics.  I really feel like you can't mess this up if you follow the recipe.  I like using frozen bananas best, because as Amy mentioned, they are so easy to mash up. After the banana bread has cooled slightly, I pop it out of the baking dish and cover overnight with plastic wrap - this creates a really nice, moist (shudder) layer on the top that is de-lish-ious.



Mmmmmmm............ Enjoy. 

*Including stalking the house of passive aggressively e-mailing the ex boyfriend that gave it to me.
*You can substitute regular milk for buttermilk if that's all you have.
**If you use fake artificial vanilla, feel free to throw in a few more dashes.  I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment