Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shrimp fra Diavolo

I have a new love in my life and it's called Shrimp fra Diavolo.

Seriously.  I love it.  I'm drooling a bit over my keyboard just thinking about it.  Below is an incredibly easy recipe that takes zero time - perfect for a weeknight after a long day of working.

Shrimp fra Diavolo
Pasta (of your choosing)
Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic - minced
16 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 to 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 to 1 pound of shrimp
1/8 cup parsley, chopped
Shaved Parmesan

Step 1: Heat Olive Oil and sauté onions until translucent and soft.  Add garlic and sauté for a two more minutes.

Step 2: Add in herbs and red pepper flakes.  I used about 2.5 teaspoons of red pepper flakes and my sauce was pretty fiery.  Had some kick.  Made ya sweat.  So if that's not your thing, I would suggest using less.  I will probably do just over 1.5 tsps next time.  Allow the herbs and peppers to sauté into the onions - about a minute.

Step 3:  Add canned tomatoes and parsley to the sauce pan and reduce heat.  Simmer for about 20 minutes.  Stirring frequently.

Step 4: Add a little evoo to a pan and lightly sear your shrimp, heating until pink, but not overcooking. 

Step 5: Chef pasta according to package instructions.  I choose a wheat angel hair.  Strain, set aside.

Step 6: Add shrimp to the sauce and allow to heat together for a minute or two.

Step 7:   Serve over pasta and top with shaved Parmesan and chopped parsley.

Step 8: Pour yourself a glass of red wine and enjoy!


Calories:  This is a low cal dish.  Keep it light by not over using the EVOO and not overdoing it on the pasta.  I like to eat pasta out of a bowl instead of a plate - it keeps your portions down.  One pasta serving size is 220 calories - which is about the size of one hand cupped.  

Shrimp fra Diavolo- so healthy and so tasty!



3 comments:

  1. Confession: I haven't made shrimp before. This looks really easy, and I think that it'll be a nice gateway for me to experiment with shrimp recipes.

    p.s. Nice presentation with the shaved parm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I can't believe you don't use shrimp ever. I love it. I want it in every meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE fra diavolo. I'll be having some of this deliciousness very soon.

    ReplyDelete