Friday, September 24, 2010

Crusted Seared Ahi Tuna

I love Ahi Tuna.  I love it more at restaurants... but if you want to make it at home, it's pretty easy.  A little intimidating because it is best served rare/raw/pink, but it's nothing even a beginner can't handle.  I buy the frozen stuff because it's more affordable.  I am not yet too refined that I snub my noise at frozen fish.  I get it - it's definitely better, but this sista is on a budget.

Crusted Seared Ahi Tuna:
Fresh or Frozen Ahi Tuna
Olive Oil
Egg
Parmesan Bread Crumbs

Quickly rinse your piece of tuna and pat dry.

Lightly whisk an egg in a bowl.

Pour some bread crumbs into another bowl.  Feel free to add a bit of parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

Like an assemble line, thorough dip the ahi tuna steaks into the egg, ensuring that you coat all sides thoroughly.  Then dip into the bread crumbs, also making sure you cover all sides.







Ready!

Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat until hot. You know it's ready when you flick water into the pan and it sizzles.

Tsssssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................

Slightly too charred..... I call it "Crusted".
Place ahi tuna into pan to sear for several minutes on either side.  Once you place in the pan, DO NOT MOVE.  This allows for better searing and creating a char.

Full Disclosure:  I left mine for too long.... and the pan smoked.... and I set off my fire alarms.

TWICE.

Nothing says Kitchen Amatuer than standing on your bed waving a bed pillow in front of the fire alarm.  Groan.

Flip and sear on the other side.  The middle should be pink.  Pink = Fabulous.  Enjoy!

Satisfying!

1 comment:

  1. This looks incredible!!! I am stalking your old posts : )

    ReplyDelete