Saturday, September 11, 2010

Are You a Picky Eater?

People avoid certain foods for religious reasons or because of food allergies, but sometimes we avoid food because we are "picky."

Are you a picky eater? Do you dislike cooked carrots? Mushrooms? Seafood? Onions?

Have you read "No Age Limit on Picky Eating" in The Wall Street Journal? Is it possible that reluctance to eat certain foods is a mental illness?

"Selective eating" may actually be listed as an eating disorder in future editions of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

Are you obsessive-compulsive about your selective eating?

From the article...
Researchers don't know yet what drives the behavior, but they say textures and smell can account for a picky eater's limited diet. Some will only eat foods with one consistent texture or one taste, leading some medical experts to speculate that picky eaters have some obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

I do not like any melons. It's the flavor. Yuck! Watermelons, honey dew, and muskmelon are all fruits that I refuse to eat. It's definitely a taste issue. It's not a texture problem. I love experimenting with food of various textures. Even if I was extremely hungry, I do not think that I could possibly eat watermelon.

I also avoid lobster and crab because I do not like the fishy taste. I sometimes eat shrimp and pan fish due to peer pressure. Avoiding recipes and opportunities to eat seafood is embarrassing for me. Just like the woman in the article, I attempt to hide my dislike for certain foods. Do you feel the same way about your pickiness? I feel as if I'm missing out on a bonding experience when my friends enjoy all-you-can-eat crab legs at a restaurant.

Do you judge people who are picky eaters?

Please share your answers to these questions in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Amy!!! I'm a picky eater too! I would never knowingly eat anything with beans and I love cheese but not really the strong rotten smelling cheeses. Give me cheddar, swiss, provolone, mozzarella and pepperjack any day. The only other fancy cheese I ever eat are Brie and Smoked Gouda. I love anything with chicken or pork and I rarely eat beef unless it's well done.

    And I LOVE desserts! Give me anything with sugar and I'll most likely eat it. I think that's why I went to pastry school. If you need any advice on baking or pastries just send me a facebook message. Happy cooking and cheers!

    Ntxuam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, duh you know I'm a picky eat. I was always blaming my mom for feeding me french toast for dinner as a kid b/c she was concerned about how skinny I was. but now I can add it to my list of mental problems!
    things i don't like, to name a few:
    onions, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, basically anything green, peas, peppers, fish, seafood, steak, most meat other than chicken and hamburger and turkey or ham deli meat (not the real stuff though), beans, tomatoes, grapefruit, mayo, dijon mustard, spicy things, nuts, coconut, and beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nxtuam! It is so great to hear from you. I'm a little jealous of your pastry career! What kind of beans?? Green beans? I love cheese, but I'm from WI :).

    Dawn, Your pickiness always makes me laugh! Has it changed at all during your pregnancy? I totally agree about grapefruit. It's bitter and gross. I love dijon mustard. What don't you like about it? Also, all nuts? What about cashews?

    ReplyDelete