Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hawaiian Mahi Mahi

I got lucky tonight.

And not with a man (tear!), but instead with what I had in my cupboards. I searched for a mahi mahi recipe on Big Oven (on my iphone) and struck gold with the recipe below.





Ingredients:
Dash of olive oil ( or you can use butter)
1 tsp. garlic (fresh chopped works wells too)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp teriyaki
2 tsp lemon juice
1 mahi mahi fillet






















Easy enough - pour a dash of olive oil into the pan.















Toss in that 1tsp of garlic. (Tip: I prefer the stuff in jar. If I chop or press the fresh stuff, I feel like my fingers smell like it for days.)















Stove on, medium high. Let the aroma party begin!

















Let the garlic brown up. Turn off the heat when browned.















Perfection. Add 1 tsp teriyaki. This can range. Just use the teriyaki sauce of your choosing.
















Add 2 tsp lemon juice. I love this stuff in the plastic lemon. Real lemons don't keep long enough (to use for one person) and you can't really tell the difference.

















Add 1 tsp honey.

Wave HI over enthusiastically to your neighbor in the courtyard from your window (even though you don't know him). Pretend he is Bradley Cooper and that he's been secretly stalking your kitchen skills. Pretend your buzzer will ring and he will show up with a bottle of Kim Crawford asking you to make him a lasagna dinner. Oh. He's just a regular guy parking his car in your courtyard where cars get robbed? Who cares? Have another glass of wine and keep daydreaming.


















Don't be scccurrreed. mix it up! Make it even, make it nice.



















Mahi Mahi. Due to both my budget and my "cooking for one", I prefer frozen mahi. I got this at whole paychex for $8.99 and it contains two servings at 150 calories each. Typically, I find this at a MA grocery store for $7.99 or thereabouts. I defrost in hot water in a bowl or leave in the fridge when I go to work. Some of my friends don't do frozen fish, but I typically find it to do just as well in any recipe.

Despite it being packaged, make sure you open and wash. Pat completely dry. This allows the marinade to fully soak in.

















Add the marinade mix to the fish. If you are doing two servings you should probably double the recipe for the marinade. Let this sit for 30 minutes. (I kept spooning and flipping to allow for maximum marination.)














There are different ways to cook this fish. You can grill it if you are one of the lucky people to have access to one. Or, if you live in a 350 square foot studio with no outside access space, you can sear it like I chose to do. Just heat up the pan (add a little EVOO, if need be), make sure it's HOT, HOT, HOT, and then add your fish to the pan. Dump all the extra marinade in as well. It will reduce and add nice flavor.






Yes. Allow a few minutes for each side to sear on medium heat. You can watch the sear from the side of the fish. You will see it go from opaque to white. Once it's halfway through -











FLIP! By now the marinade is reducing. Spoon back into the middle. Allow to sear for a few more minutes. (I think in total I did mine 8 minutes). Check fish by cutting down the thickest part. Fish should be white.












Serve. This meal looks boring. I served it with rice pilaf from a box. (It took 25 minutes and the fish was way tastier.) When you bite into the fish, it should be moist, but not slimy. If it feels slimy or slippery, it needs a few more minutes to cook. I love the sweet taste of this. I typically do not like honey, but the honey in this marinade blends nicely and you can't single it out.

















Ewww. The downfall of living in that 350 sq foot apartment is that there is no dishwasher and everyday I am stuck with this. Enter wine.
Calorie count: 300 ish.



No comments:

Post a Comment