Monday, August 16, 2010

Garden Omelet

I love Sunday mornings.  Mostly because it means a whole day of freedom to do whatever I want to do.  Last week, I trekked to the Normal People Grocery Store, leisured around finding bargains and other fairly priced items.  I left with a $90 bill, but I had some serious food and felt content with the value ratio.  But that's a whole 'nother blog post folks... the point is, I had my coffee, I had my walk and I left that grocery store feeling satisfied and happy.

This Sunday was no exception to the Satisfied Sunday rule.  I arrived back from MN very late the night before, so I enjoy a nice late sleep and then padded into the kitchen to see what I could chef up for a little breakfast.   I found some eggs, mushrooms, scallions, and some seriously old milk.  (Side note, I have still not tossed this seriously old milk.  I'm afraid of it.  Try not to judge.)  I decided for the omelet route and chopped up the mushrooms and scallions and threw them in a pan to soften up a bit for a few minutes.

I whisked two eggs in a bowl and poured them into the pan.  Since the shredded cheese has apparently gone MIA, I threw some ricotta into the mix.  Close enough right? 

Did you know Italians say ree-GOT-ta?  I know this because one of my BFF's boyfriend is straight up RI Italian and those folks know what they are talking about.  I'm from the midwest and I say ri-COT-a.  

I also say bay-gle (bagel) and pop (soda) and my east coast friends take enjoyment in making fun of my funny sounding 'O's.  Jerks.

I digress.  Back to the omelet.  Omelet making is a skill.  I prefer to have the pan at a medium heat.  When you pour the egg mixture in, keep shuffling around the eggs to the side and tilting the pan so the eggs run onto the clean part.  They key is to keep the egg cooking, but to keep it all in one piece. Leave for a few minutes on this one side  

Once it is ready to be flipped, you'll be able to tell because the edges will turn up a bit and the omelet will be soft on top.  Using a spatula, be very careful in flipping it over.  Sometimes I use two of them to ensure it flips safely.

See how the edges are clean and the top looks soft, not runny?  Top this with cracked pepper and you're ready to flip.




Once it's flipped, it needs very little time on the second side.  Maybe thirty seconds to a minute max.  You'll know it's ready when it slides around the pan pretty easily.  At this point you're all set.  As you transfer to your plate, fold in half as it slides out of the pan.  



If you love your omelet cheese-y, sprinkle it on the omelet before you transfer to your plate.  As you transfer, it will smoosh the cheese in between the hot sides and melt in a crazy delicious way.


I really liked this omelet.  Using just what I had on hand, I think I did pretty well.  The ricotta wasn't a complete substitute for real cheese, but it did the trick.


Calories - 225.  (eggs- 140, ricotta - 60, vegetables - 25)

No comments:

Post a Comment