Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cooking has taught me to relax

I know that many people think that cooking is stressful. They think that it is a lot of pressure to produce a delicious meal or a beautifully decorated cake.

Cooking has taught me to relax.

I am THE ultimate multitasker. I am usually bored if I am not doing 90 things at one time. I have twelve windows open in my Firefox browser right now. I'm also texting my dad about the Twins game and tweeting while uploading photos and pouring a glass of pinot noir. Did I mention that I am reading an article about Brett Favre?

I am also driven by speed. I like to do things FAST.



I have discovered that my natural tendencies are not conducive for cooking.

You have to be patient with cooking. Rushing in the kitchen results in spilled milk, sugar, or __fill in the blank ingredient___. Also, do you enjoy sweeping up glass? Do you enjoy bleeding when you cut your hand on broken glass? I do not. I have broken many serving bowls and wine glasses. Do you enjoy ruining clothes because of splashed grease/oil stains? <-- I hate that! Those stains are avoidable. When cooking, it is best to slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww dowwwwwwwwwwwwwn. Pace yourself. Talk out loud. I often read my recipes out loud to make sure that I am getting the measurements correct.
In the past, I would curse or cry when I spilled ingredients. Is that pathetic or normal? Now, I laugh.

I think this means that I am in a good place. I think it means that I have found peace and tranquility in the kitchen. I sure hope so.

P.S. Staring at the oven does not make it go faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment