Monday, August 16, 2010

Cookie Dough Brownies with Chocolate Ganache

My mom's giant family (of 11 brothers and sisters) has always know that my Aunt Geri was a fabulous baker.  During the holidays, each sibling was in charge of something and Geri's destiny was that of Dessert Lady.  As luck would have it, our giant family required not just one dessert, but many.  Geri would modestly come into my grandmother's house with three or four baked goods in hand every holiday.  The family was always excited to see what Geri had decided to bring each year.  Cheesecakes and chocolate and pies, oh my!  Because you didn't want to be forced to choose which one, many of us simple requested the Sample Platter, a sliver of each.

A two year breast cancer survivor, my Aunt Geri passed away in early August, devastating the entire family and those who knew her.  She had worked for 24 years at the local newspaper and after her passing, they dedicated an entire section of the paper to her.  Many of her colleagues wrote heartwarming tributes to her and it wasn't surprising that many of those tributes mentioned her talent for cheffing up deliciousness in the kitchen.  Monkey bread and cookie dough brownies were of the most mentioned desserts.

These items weren't regulars on the holiday dessert circuit and I haven't been fortunate enough to try any of these out of Geri's kitchen, but don't they sound good? A google search of Monkey Bread make my mouth water... and cookie dough?  Well, now that's a dessert after my own heart.

In honor of my Aunt Geri, I took cookie dough brownies to the kitchen.  It's not her recipe (doubtful she really even used them anymore anyways) and I jazzed it up a bit with a chocolate ganache topping, as I took the easy way to make them.

Geri is, and will be, greatly missed.


Cookie Dough Brownie with a Chocolate Ganache

Does this look too easy?  It is.  I cheated and took the easy way out.  Betty Crocker, don't fail me now.  If not limited by strange organics at Whole Paychex and limited variety at CVS, I would have probably gone with a richer box of brownie mix. Like a Betty Crocker Supreme- something that would fluffy up more.   It's city living and you make do with what you got at hand.


Prepare both the brownies and the cookies as directed.




This is me, practicing sheer willpower.  Cookie Dough is any form is like crack.  I'm an addict.  Guilty.  


The brownie mix goes into the pan - you should use a 9x13.  I used this small pan because I halfed the recipe.  Because having an entire pan of these in my house is detrimental to maintaining a figure that will entice gentleman folks to take me out on dates and woo me.  


With the brownie base, drop spoonfuls of cookie dough into the brownie batter, pushing down lightly.  Then pop into the oven.  I followed the temp directions on the brownie box.  Then I eye balled the baking, pulling out when the toothpick came out clean from the center.  In a redo, I would probably err on the side of undercooking next time.




These will need to cool before you make the chocolate ganache.

Now, chocolate ganache sounds fancy, but it's really easy to make.  Three simple ingredients:  chocolate, butter, cream.

Bag of semi sweet chips, 3/4 cup of cream, 6 Tbls of butter.  Heat the cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Melt the butter and stir until the point just before it boils.  You'll see the edges start to bubble.  Pour over the chocolate chips and fold and stir until the chips are melted.

Easy as that.  I wouldn't use light cream next time.  I don't know what I was thinking.  There's nothing even remotely healthy about these.   That's why they taste so damn delicious.

Pour the ganache over the brownie and let sit until the ganache firms up.  I left mine in over night and for breakfast the next morning, had this treat:


1 comment:

  1. Kelley-What an awesome tribute to Aunt Geri! ~Alo

    ReplyDelete