Monday, August 30, 2010

Pad Thai

My love for Pad Thai dates back to my dates of living in Sydney (which is hands down one of the greatest cities on this planet).  I was far, far away from the land of hot dish and green bean cassarole and I was ready for a tastebud adventure.  I can't remember which of my fabulous friends introduced me to this very basic thai noodle dish, but I can remember it was love at first site.  Peanuts, scallions, delicious noodles.... hello lover.

About a year ago, I found a recipe on eatingwell.com for pad thai and decided that I had to make it.  I went to the Kam Man in Quincy to stock up on all the strange ingredients required to chef up such exoticness.  I remember being appalled financially when I got to the register, but these ingredients have lasted a very long time and have come in handy for many other dishes. 

So let's get to it.  This recipe requires the ability to move quickly.  So I suggest you get your ingredients prepped and ready to go.  

Pad Thai (from eatingwell.com)

4 ounces dried rice noodles
2 teaspoons peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
8 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups mung bean sprouts
1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts


Lots of ingredients needed for Pad Thai.
Substitutions:
 I chose to sub in wheat angel hair vs the rice noodles.  I didn't like the rice noodles I did last time, so I decided to play it safe this time around.  If you go rice noodles, soak for 20 minutes in hot water until softened.  If you go pasta noodles, boil water and cook as directed.  

I also chose to sub in chicken vs shrimp for budget reasons.  Shrimp doesn't have to be cooked beforehand, but obviously the chicken would need to be chopped and cooked before adding.

(Side note:  you're about to notice my cooking vessel is a frying pan.  I had a wok, which was amazing, but was left behind in the move.  You make due with what ya got.  let's all pour one out for things that were once had and are no longer. :( )

Once you have the noodles ready, start your engines.  it's go time.  And it's fast.

Heat your peanut oil on medium high until hot.  Add garlic and let brown quickly.  This takes a matter of 30 seconds.  


Next, your lightly beaten egg needed to be scrambled. Scramble around until cooked.


Once your egg is lightly scrambled, add in the shrimp first, stir frying until pink and then the noodles, stir frying until soft.  If you go my route, I threw them in at the same time and stir frying around until warm.


Next add in your scallions and bean sprouts and remaining ingredients.  The bean sprouts in this recipe are a filler.  You use less noodles, add in bean sprouts and VIOLA! instantaneously healthy.  No flavor lost.  Stir fry around.  You see I am struggling here with my tiny tiny little frying pan.  With a wok this was way easier to mix around the flavors and stir fry - I made a sick mess of my stove trying to do so with this pan. 


 Perfection.  Healthy, homemade Pad Thai.


Cry for me!  The pitfalls of cooking for one are clearly evidenced above.  This clean up was brutal.

Don't forget to add your smushed up peanuts as a topper.  I clearly used a can of soup to smash my peanuts.  Yum.  So good.


Calories count: 325, servings, 4.
(Disclaimer, mine only last two servings.)

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Definately going to try this! What's fish sauce, and do I really need it? ~Alo

    ReplyDelete