Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Steak Bun

It's my blog and I can brag if I want to right?  Clearly.  That's what self promotion is all about.


Tonight, I made one of the tastiest things I have ever cheffed up in the kitchen.  It's so tasty that I can't wait to make it again in the near future and play with the recipe!  Until then, I have a party sized serving that I get to eat for every meal until I head home to Minnesota in 36 hours.  I went out for a glass of wine tonight with a few coworkers, but I am not going to lie, I was pretty excited to come home and try out this recipe.  (And was rewarded!)

I had a recipe to follow, but I merely used it as a guide rather than the law.  It's call Steak Bun - which is a Vietnamese noodle dish typically made with rice, crispy vegetables, a tangy sauce and thinly sliced meat. My recipe is below, the official Eating Well recipe is below. 

Official Steak Bun (by Kelley).
1/2 pound beef round (stripped for stirfry - about $3.50 in MA grocery store)
3 tbsp teriyaki (for stir frying meat)
6 ounces wheat spaghetti (thin or angel hair)
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp fish sauce (smelly)
2 tbsp sugar
7 1/2 cups napa cabbage (shredded in bag)
1 shredded carrot
1/2 cup green onions/scallions
1/8 cup unsalted peanuts, crushed.





3 tbsp teriyaki into a hot pan on medium high heat.  My hope was to infused some flavor.  My reality was that the teriyaki served as a healthy alternative to oil, rather than any delicious flavor reduction.  Meh, sometimes your most grandiose ideas in the kitchen fall flat.  I did about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.  I wanted the middles pink and the meat not over cooked.  Set aside to cool.



All these ingredient might seem overwhelming at first, but they are things I have on hand.  Fish sauce and rice vinegar have been around for a while (purchased both at Kam Man in Quincy, saved both from Garbage Bound fates in numerous fridge cleanings - I knew they would come in handy... someday!)

Also, one of these things is not like the other.  Bud Light Lime!  How did that get in there?  C'mere... let me drink you. 

Start boiling water for pasta.  Boil and then rinse with cold water.  Noodles taste best semi chilled for this recipe.

Oh, Holla! Are those BBQ Pop Chips?  YES!  oh wait.  Must.  Resist. All Temptation.  To. Have. Beer. And. PopChips. Dinner....

After I polished off both the Bud Light Lime AND the remainder of the PopChips, I mixed the rice vinegar, fish sauce and sugar in a bowl together.  Whisk.  Set aside.



I mixed the cabbage, shredded carrots and scallions in a bowl.  Add chilled pasta noodles.

Added me some of the cool beef that I sliced (along the meat grain of course!) and the peanuts that I crushed with a random can of baked beans.  (Feel free to use food processor to grind up OR use whatever heavy item you might have.  I wrapped mine in a semi ghetto bag fashion out of generic plastic wrap to crush.)

I'm don't need fancy brand names to make awesome meals!  So there!

If you're cooking for one, like me (code name: leftovers three days in a row), then portion out salad mixture into containers. Do not add the dressing mixture until you're ready to eat, otherwise the cabbage will get all soggy and lose it's delicious crunch.  Once you're ready to eat, spoon a few tablespoons of dressing into the salad mixture and mix around.  Be liberal, but not overly liberal.


That's it! Up close!  Droll over those fabulous colors and crunch.  Delishhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Am very, very much looking forward to healthy sized portions for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

Next time I make this, I am going to use mint instead of scallions and add mango pieces.  You could also use pork or chicken.  You could also scratch the teriyaki and use EVOO or canola or peanut oil.  Additionally, you could use sub rice noodles (as the recipe calls for), but I thought a skinny wheat noodle worked just as well.

I'm in quite the single girl predicament:  I am unexpectedly heading home to MN on Thursday for my aunt's funeral.  Yet I have probably $15 worth of brand new produce that probably won't last until I get back on Saturday.  I need to look into creating some sort of spinach, asparagus, scallion and mushroom creation tomorrow night and freezing it for future use.  

Calories - (3 portions) - 550 calories each


Steak Bun: (official recipe from eating well)
1 Tbsp - canola oil
1 pound sirloin or strip steak
6 ounces rice noodles
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
4 cups shredded napa cabbage
1 1/2 shredded carrot
1 cup thinly sliced radishes
1 cup fresh sliced basil or mint
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
Prep same as my recipe above.




1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious and easy. I'm going to have to give this a try soon -- looks perfect for a warm weather dinner.

    One tip for that fresh produce predicament... when/if that happens again, or if life just gets too busy to use the produce before it starts to turn bad, make a quick batch of vegetable soup and freeze it.

    ReplyDelete