Friday, January 14, 2011

Lasagna Soup Deliciousness

I have tried a ton of awesome soup recipes, and this lasagna soup recipe was definitely one of my favorites. It also made for AWESOME frozen leftovers which I was cautious about. I'm going to make it again this weekend when we are in northern Wisconsin.

I slightly modified this Lasagna Soup Recipe from an awesome blog, A Good Appetite. Go check out that blog. It's also on our list of "What we are reading.." on the right menu.

It seems like a lot of ingredients, but it's actually a lot of stuff that you probably already have.

Ingredients:
1 lb hot Italian sausage (If you can handle it, otherwise wimp out and get the medium)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons of kosher salt
pepper
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 cups of crushed or diced tomatoes (I used some that I had leftover in the freezer)
2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons sherry
1 cup milk
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan
1 cup ricotta
6 lasagna noodles

When I first made this recipe, I didn't have a Dutch oven. This week, I bought a Dutch oven, and I'm elated to use it in the future.

For this recipe, you certainly can use a Dutch oven, but you could also use a stockpot. Start by browning the sausage. After the sausage is browned, set it aside, but continue using the pot/Dutch oven for the next step. Toss in a little olive oil and tenderize the garlic and onions.
Then, add the oregano, basil, salt-n-peppa, and tomato paste. Cook these ingredients for a few minutes before adding the tomatoes. Simmer for 15 min.
In another big pot, start boiling water for the lasana noodles. Cool the noodles until your desired tenderness. I'm an al dente girl, but it's kind of irrelevant in a liquidy soup, especially when frozen. Drain the noodles.

Go back to the simmering mixture. Now, it's ready to be blended. My sister gave me an immersion blender for Christmas, and I can't wait to try it with this recipe! After this mixture is blended, put it back in a pot on low heat. Add in the chicken stock, sherry, and milk. Then, add the Parmesan and ricotta. This makes for an odd texture. At first I didn't like the texture, but I grew to love it. You'll want to melt these ingredients over the low heat, but they'll never total become smooth. The texture will always remain.

Finally, add the sausage and noodles.

Serve alone. I wouldn't add crackers or any garnishes to this soup. It's a meal in itself. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Amy. This looks so good! I have to add it to my list of soups I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really flavorful! Let me know what you think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super super good, my dear. I'm jealous. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good and interesting! Definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you'll like it. I made it again on Monday. I threw in a dash of red pepper flakes this time (pre-blending), and it was quite spicy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete