Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Black Bean Salmon Tostadas

The holiday celebrations are behind us and like many other people, I tried not to gain 15 pounds this season.  It's hard, with the Winter Warmer beers and the turkey and the pumpkin everything and sweets are far as the eye can see.  So while I am not out making merriment with my friends, it's nice to have a nice light meal at home.  Something fresh tasting, healthy, yet filling and satisfying.  I came across the following recipe from Eating Well and decided to give it a shot.

Black Bean and Salmon Tostadas from EatingWell:

  • 8 6-inch corn tortillas
  • Canola oil cooking spray
  • 1 6- to 7-ounce can boneless, skinless wild Alaskan salmon, drained
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapeños, plus 2 tablespoons pickling juice from the jar, divided
  • 2 cups coleslaw mix (see Tip) or shredded cabbage
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons prepared salsa
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • Lime wedges (optional)
Preheat your oven to 375 and line your tortillas on a cookie or baking sheet.  Spray each side with baking spray (like Pam) and sprinkle with sea salt.  Toss into the oven and bake until crisp - flipping halfway through.  These will be chip-like when they are done.  


Process black beans, salsa, sour cream and scallions in a food processor until mostly smooth.  Transfer to a bowl and microwave on  high until warm.  It doesn't look pretty, but trust me.   Actually, it looks really gross, but go with it.



In another bowl, combine avocado, salmon, jalapeño.  Regarding the canned salmon, I put my faith in the recipe and gave it a try.  It certainly wasn't bad, but I thought the salmon was more tuna-like than salmon-like. I might omit it all together next time, or use real flaked salmon.



And finally, mix cabbage, cilantro and juice from the jalapeños in a bowl.


At this point, I started to get nervous.  This was quite the random assortment of ingredients and I wasn't quite imagining how they would come together.  I promised my dinner guest that if this turned out gross that we would be heading out onto the Hill for dinner.

From here it gets easy.  I'll let the pictures do the talking:








And in the end, I had nothing to worry about this.  These were phenomenal.  Light, healthy, very flavorful.  I topped each of them with some freshly squeezed lime juice and then I wolfed them down in about six seconds.  The End.




No comments:

Post a Comment