Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sloppy Joes, with a Mexican Twist

It must be my midwestern roots, but I am a sucker for sloppy joes.  Both my mom and my stepmom make fabulous ones and I can eat them straight up - no bread required.  When I stumbled across this Mexican inspired Sloppy Joe recipe in an issue of Cooking Light, I was psyched.  I made these on a Saturday night... and less than 18 hours later, I had single-handedly eaten all of it.  I should probably be more embarrassed about this.  

But I am not.

Chipotle Sloppy Joes (modified from Cooking Light, March 2009)
  • 2 1/2 cups Vidalia or other sweet onions
  • 1 7 ounce can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
  • 1 or 2 roasted red peppers
  • 1 teaspoon jalepeno peppers
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
  • buns or bread, as preferred.



Ingredients
Start by browning your ground beef.  Drain, pat dry to get rid of excess grease.


I think the base of every one of my recipes starts with either garlic or onions.  One of my top priorities over the next few weeks is to find something that will easily chop onions and garlic for me.  I'm sick of crying (onions) and I am sick of having fingers that consistently smell like garlic.

Saute your onions until browned as in the picture.  Add in celery and green pepper - saute for two minutes.  Add in chiles, red pepper, and jalape├▒os - saute for one minute.

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring together until warm.  I simmered mine on low for about 20 minutes to really combine all the flavors.  Be sure to keep stirring constantly so that it doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan.

Now, let me show you the various ways in which I crushed this recipe:

Straight Up from the saucepan

On a multi-grain roll from Au Bon Pain

Open face for a low calorie option.

On warm tortillas - sort of like a taco.  With sour cream, pico de gallo, and chopped avocado.

Besides the last option - I didn't do anything too entirely exciting.  If I were serving to others, I might have topped with very thinly sliced onions on big delicious rolls.  There is a ton of flavor in these, so not too much else is needed.  



**BE SURE TO CHECK My Kitchen, My Sanctuary THROUGHOUT THE WEEK. LOOK FOR DETAILS ON AN EXCITING GIVEAWAY FROM CSN STORES! They have over 200 online stores where you can find everything from great cookware to kitchen appliances and cutlery to modern dining room furniture. More information will be revealed this week.

1 comment: