Thursday, January 27, 2011

Asian Shrimp with Brussel Sprouts

This is another recipe that I discovered in Real Simple's January 2011 magazine.  I was drawn to it because of the Brussel sprouts.  I've only had them twice before - once post college when we were having regular YP dinner parties every few weeks and once more recently. My girl Molls cheffed 'em up back in the day - and I remember being hesitant, but pleasantly surprised at this strange, tasty new vegetable I just tried.  And when I had them recently, they were a little over EVOO-ed, but I still thought they had decent flavor.  I feel like Brussel Sprouts get a bad rap.... sometimes rightly so.  I think they have to be cooked perfectly and they aren't such a bad little vegetable.  (Raw is a completely different story.  ewww.)

  • 1 cup long-grain white rice 
  • 1 pound shrimp, chopped in halves 
  • 3 tablespooons canola oil, plus more, if necessary 
  • 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced 
  • 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks 
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce 
  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar 
  • 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar 
  • 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced 
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil 
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
  • 1/4 carrots (optional)
Get your skillet pan going on medium heat and heat up some of you oil.  Once hot, in go the sprouts, ginger and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.

Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and 3/4 cup of water to pan and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until the sprouts are crisp tender.  Unfortunately, I don't know what that means.  In all honesty, I cheffed this up after shoveling and I was a few brews deep.  It was 12 inches.... can you blame me for being a little thirsty??

(On a side note: Southern Tier's Double IPA's are insanely tasty... but with a 8.2% ABV, they creep on you.)

Either way - it looks like this.  The sauce needs to thicken.  I threw a little cornstarch into mine to help speed it along (about 1 to 2 tablespoons).

Don't these look pretty?


Once the sauce has thickened, throw in your shrimps and your chili.  Cook until the shrimps are pink. And, in the grand finale, toss in your sesame oil and scallions and top with smashed peanuts.  If that's your thing.  It's clearly my thing.

I served over a bed of brown rice.



As you can see from the picture below, the vegetables are overcooked - hence the loss of their brilliant colors as shown above.  That's okay.  I believe it tasted pretty good... but by then, I had already moved on from wicked strong beers to a bottle of wine.  

Help me Rhonda.

The leftovers the next day made for a quick and easy lunch.


2 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so wise with the shrimp. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete