Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dulce de Leche

I'm about to teach you lovely readers something amazing.  I almost didn't believe it myself.... until I actually did it.

Step 1:
Take a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk.  It costs about $1.19 or so at the store. 

Step 2 - Remove the label.

Step 3 - Bring to a boil in a pot of water- you can do more than 1, if they fit in the pan.  Make sure they are covered by an inch or so of water.  Bring to a boil and boil for about 15 minutes.

Step 4: Simmer for 2 to 4 hours.

I did mine for about 3 hours.  Carefully handling, they are hot.  Once they cool, take a can opener and open 'er up.

Now here's the amazing part:


I stole this picture from here
Ta-DA!  Homemade Dulce de Leche.  Doesn't it taste fabulous?  You should put in over ice cream.  On your cheesecakes. Straight up on a spoon.  This stuff is good.  Transfer to a container and it will lasts for weeks.  You could even jar it with a ribbon and give as gifts. 

How did I never ever know this secret before?  Mmmm....

2 comments:

  1. I was witness to this magic. Who would have ever thought?!

    ReplyDelete