Slow Cooker Tomato Rotini Soup:
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium stalks of celery, chopped (about 1 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups rotini pasta (about 4.5 ounces)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional.
1 - Chop ingredients
2 - Throw in a crock pot, set for 8 to 9 hours on high
3 - come home from work, add pasta.
4 - Cook for 20 to 30 minutes on low and serve.
I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. What I can tell you is that I added WAY too much pasta. I did much closer to the whole box (okay, fine, I did the whole box) and the result is less soup like and more pasta like. It's still soupy - like a minestrone in both flavor and consistency - but the pasta was overkill. I should have stuck to the recipe.
Also - it makes about 1,000 servings. My freezer is filled with tupperware of this soup and I've eaten it for lunch for three days in a row now. It's very good - but next time I would half the recipe. My freezer isn't that big!