Friday, December 3, 2010

Slow Cooker Tomato Rotini Soup

Want to wake up, throw some ingredients in a pot and arrive home 8 to 9 hours later to a delicious home cooked meal?  Below is the simplest soup recipe... if you mess this up - I suggest you plan to live on take out for the rest of your life.

Slow Cooker Tomato Rotini Soup:

  • 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
  • 4 cups tomato juice
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
  • 2 medium stalks of celery, chopped (about 1 cups)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 1/2 cups rotini pasta (about 4.5 ounces)
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional.


Four Steps:
1 - Chop ingredients


2 - Throw in a crock pot, set for 8 to 9 hours on high


3 - come home from work, add pasta.
4 - Cook for 20 to 30 minutes on low and serve.

I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  What I can tell you is that I added WAY too much pasta.  I did much closer to the whole box (okay, fine, I did the whole box) and the result is less soup like and more pasta like.  It's still soupy - like a minestrone in both flavor and consistency - but the pasta was overkill.  I should have stuck to the recipe.

Also - it makes about 1,000 servings.  My freezer is filled with tupperware of this soup and I've eaten it for lunch for three days in a row now.  It's very good - but next time I would half the recipe.  My freezer isn't that big!

No comments:

Post a Comment