Friday, December 24, 2010

Hot Artichoke-Spinach Dip

I love spinach and artichoke dip. You'll see it as an appetizer at many chains. I think I first fell in love with it when the BF and I used to go to late night happy hour at Applebees after my grad school night classes finished. I think we went there because the beers were only $2.
I used a recipe from the Food Network.

Kosher salt
10 oz bag baby spinach
1 cup packed fresh basil
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
6 oz Neufchatel cream cheese
1 clove garlic, smashed
14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained, squeezed dry and finely chopped
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
cayenne pepper
2 or 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
black pepper
Cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 450.

The first step is to boil water + Kosher salt. Toss in the spinach and basil after the water boils. Don't keep it in there for very long because next you'll have to drain and squeeze dry the spinach/basil. I HATE doing this. It's such a pain. It seems like the spinach is never dry enough. Then, roughly chop the spinach/basil. Set aside to work on the next step. Put the chicken broth, beans, cream cheese, and garlic into a food processor.
Puree and then fold the ingredients in with the artichoke pieces and the spinach/basil. Mix in 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Transfer to a casserole dish that you have sprayed with cooking spray. Top with the rest of the mozzarella cheese. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Serve with chips or crackers.

I was really rushed to have this dip ready for guests, and I forgot to take a photo of the finished dip. I managed to get this photo after most of the dip was gobbled up. This photo is evidence that the dip was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment