Monday, April 4, 2011

Salmon with Blueberry Pan Sauce

I'm back!  I ate my face off in Thailand... as in, ordering two of everything at every meal.  Which was clearly excessive.  But... when things range between $2 and $3 each, how could I not?  I'll have a post up soon about all the amazing things I ate.  Meanwhile, despite a quiet run lately on My Kitchen, My Sanctuary, I have been in my kitchen cooking up the usual storm.  Finding time to download and blog about it?  Well, that's been a different story. (I thought being done with my MBA would give me me time.  Wrong.)

I'm addicted to anything salmon.  So fresh, so healthy, and ever so easy to prepare.  I found this recipe on Epicurious and whipped it up one night in about 30 minutes.  

Salmon wtih Blueberry Pan Sauce:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil plus additional for brushing
  • 3/4 cup sliced shallots
  • 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt plus additional for seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme plus additional for seasoning
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice plus additional for seasoning
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 4 7-ounce salmon steaks or fillets with skin (each about 3/4 inch thick)
  • 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint, divided


This one is easy, let's get after it:
Start with (my) usual onion/shallot saute.  I was surprised by the use of shallots and blueberries.  I wasn't sure what to expect from it.  However, shallots have a much lighter, less intense flavor than, say a red onion.  I'm really digging them lately.  As they start to soften, add in the garlic, thyme and allspice (I actually omitted the allspice because I didn't have any on hand.)  Also this mixture to blend together for about 30 seconds to a minute.  Let the flavors release and then move on to the next step.

Next, add in your blueberries, water and balsamic vinegar and allow to saute.

 As they warm, some will start to burst, but you can help this process along by smashing with the back of your spoon.  Or if you have an official masher of some sort, that would work well also.  Again, limited kitchen, so work with what ya got. 

Most obviously, you could use a fork too.


Allow this mixture to continue to do it's thing over medium heat.  The sauce will start to thicken, but be sure to stir frequently so it doesn't burn.


Once it looks like this, you're good to go!  Yum.  Yum.


Your salmon, perfectly seasoned with a touch of salt and some black pepper, comes out of the oven, freshly broiled for about 10 minutes.  Inside should be a dull pink.  If it looks shiny or a bit slimy, back in it goes.  It's not done. 

P.S. for years, I worked my butt of trying to deskin salmon (or any fish) before cooking it.  What a waste of time!  Once cooked, the skin flakes right off.  I wish I had known.  I would have salvaged many a piece of tortured skinless fish. 


Take your blueberry sauce and add your fresh mint.  As as much as you want.  I LOVE mint and so I went overboard on mine. 


 Add finally, top generously over the salmon.  I was in a hurry this night, so this was my complete dinner.  The recipe made enough sauce for two pieces of fish - so could be a recipe for two, OR, dinner the next night like mine was.  I love having something simple like this on hand. 




No comments:

Post a Comment