Thursday, April 28, 2011

Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes

These were really awesome. I brought these to Easter, and it seemed like people really enjoyed them.

Also, the peanut butter frosting could be used on many different plain cupcakes.

I slightly modified the Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcake recipe from My Baking Addiction.

Cupcake Ingredients
2 1/4 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 T baking powder
4 large egg whites (at room temp)
1 1/4 cup buttermilk (at room temp)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter (at room temp)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Jelly (I used grape.)

Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites and buttermilk.

In a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Then, add the vanilla. Slowly add a third of the dry mixture while beating at medium speed. Add half of the egg/buttermilk, a third of the dry mixture, the last of the egg/buttermilk, and finally, the last of the dry ingredients. Beat for a few more minutes until the batter is consistent throughout.Start putting the mixture in paper cupcake liners. I made 20 cupcakes.

Bake for 20-22 minutes at 350. Cool.

Now comes a fun part. I was able to use my apple corer that I got from my friend Amanda to create a space for the jelly filling. It's up to you to decide how much space you'd like to make for the jelly filling. After creating the space, add the jelly to each cupcake.


Frosting Ingredients
1 cup of peanut butter
3 sticks of butter (at room temp)
2 lbs powdered sugar
8 T heavy cream
2 T vanilla extract


To make the frosting, cream the peanut butter and butter in a standing mixer on medium speed. Switch to low speed, and add the powdered sugar while blending. Add the heavy cream and vanilla. Mix on high speed until the frosting is smooth and evenly blended.

I used a plastic bag to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes because that's how I roll, but if you have all of the proper frosting tools, use those. Make sure that the cupcakes are cooled before adding the frosting.


After the cupcakes have been frosted, add a drop of jelly to each cupcake.

This recipe makes a lot of frosting, and I have a lot left over. Maybe I didn't put enough on each cupcake, but I regret that I didn't have other plain cupcakes on hand. This frosting would be awesome on lots of other cupcakes. Taste it, and you'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment