Monday, March 14, 2011

Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars

I decided to make the Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars recipe from the March Bon Appetit. I didn't have any peanuts, so I used chopped cashews.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
3/4 cup jelly (I used grape.)
2/3 cup chopped peanuts or cashews

Preheat the oven at 350. Line a 8x8 metal pan with foil. I think that a metal pie pan would also work. Grease the foil with nonstick spray.

Start by whisking the flour 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a small bowl.

In your mixer, mix the brown sugar, peanut butter, and butter (at room temperature). Then, add the vanilla and egg. Beat until smooth. Remove the dough and split in half. Put half in the freezer for 10 minutes. Put the other half in the greased pan and spread evening onto the bottom of the pan.
Next, spread the jelly over the dough.
After the dough had been in the freezer for 10 minutes, split it into small pieces of about 1/2 inch. Evening distribute these pieces as a layer over the jelly.
Then, sprinkle the chopped peanuts or cashews.

Bake for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

I somehow lost the photos of the final product, but I promise you that the bars were really delicious. If I made these bars again soon (likely because I always have these ingredients), I'll update this post with more photos.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I bet the cashews were fantastic! Maybe I'll have to make them myself to see what the end product looks like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling and it's only 9 am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend these. I might make them in a pie pan in the future. They are kind of soft, and I think they'd be great cut into pie slices instead of squares.

    ReplyDelete