Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spicy Shrimp Noodle Bowl

I'm SO excited to be going to Thailand in just a few short days here.  In fact, I haven't felt this amount of anticipation and excitement since the Christmas mornings of my youth.  Anyone else remember waking up at an ungodly hour (4:45 am) and laying there in bed waiting sosososo patiently for your parents to hurry up and get up?  There are PRESENTS to be had here people!  Get to gettin'.


Either way, my excitement lead me to prep a Thai shrimp noodle bowl from Cooking Light's October 2010 issue.


Spicy Shrimp Noodle Bowl as adapted
  • 1 pd tail on shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 cups water
  • 2.5 cups low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
  • 1 8 ounce bottle of clam juice (if you can't find this, I just subbed in equal amounts chicken broth)
  • 2 1/4 in slices peeled ginger
  • Olive oil
  • 1 sliced red bell pepper
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3/4 cup sugar snap peas
  • 2.5 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 ounces uncooked rice sticks
  • cilantro
  • lime wedges
The biggest pain in the neck on this recipe was the shrimp.  I had purchased what I thought was a stellar deal on shrimp from whole foods, but let me tell you, there's certain a price for convenience.  Ever time I use these shrimp, I have to spend a painstaking amount of time shelling them and then deveining them.  Total buzz kill.



Here we go!  Start with ripping all the tails of of your shrimp and chopping up a few medallions of ginger.  You dont' need alot - but both of these ingredients are going to add to the richness of the broth you are going to create.

And add in your broth, water and clam juice (if you found at the store).  Bring to a boil and them simmmmmeerrr on low for about 10 to 15 minutes. 

Once the broth is going, start slicing up all your veggies, if you haven't done so already.  Throw the onion and peppers into a sauce pan with a bit of heated EVOO and start sauteing.  Keep the heat low as you don't want your onions to burn, you just want to soften them.

Before Saute
After Saute
Once those are nicely sauted, add in the broth mixture (be sure to scoop out the tails and the ginger medallions first!), your shrimp, sugar snap peas and the rice noodles.  Allow to simmer until the shrimp are fully cooked and the noodles are soft.  When it's ready to serve, add in the chili garlic sauce (more if you like it HOT, HOT, HOT).   

Sprinkle with a bit of cilantro and give yourself a pat on the back.  This is incredibly low cal, fresh and filling.   



I hope every meal I eat in Thailand is 5 times better than this - but obviously, it's nice to be able to create at home!





3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious - very fresh and simple, but with a kick. Seems like good prep for your trip to Thailand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Thai food! I can't wait to hear/read about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will post a million pictures recapping!

    ReplyDelete