Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kale, Potato and Onion Frittata

I've never made a frittata before, so when I stumbled across this recipe from Epicurious, I thought it would be the perfect thing to chef up on the weekend.  Vegetarian + Kale + (relatively) Low Calorie = yes please.  I'm not sure what the difference is between a frittata and a quiche is?  Maybe that a frittata doesn't have a crust on it?  Either way, I love the basic idea of it - you can really be creative and chef up any sort that you're feeling that day.  Asparagus, goat and arugala?  Sure!  How about we add some proscuitto in there as well?  I was feeling vegetarian, so I went with something that included my latest love:  Kale.

Kale, Potato and Onion Frittata (as adapted from Epicurious)
  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 1 yellow or white onion, sliced
  • 1 pound kale, trimmed, blanched 3 minutes in boiling water, drained, squeezed and coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 cups boiled diced potatoes
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika (preferably smoked) - I used cumin because that's what I had on hand

 While the ingredient list is relatively short, there is some prep involved.  With the Kale, make sure you remove the spines - you can easily do this by folding along the spine and slicing down the side of it.  Blanching is easy, but once it's cooled, you really have to do a good job of squeezing out all the excess moisture.  I then coarsely chopped.    I also subbed out sweet potatoes because I love their flavor.  You'll need to boil and chop these ahead of time as well.  Once all your ingredients are prepped, you're set to go.

 

 

Fire up the oven to 400 degrees and coat a skillet with cooking spray.  Saute your onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent.  Add in your kale and garlic, keep moving for another 5. 


In a separate bowl, mix eggs, egg whites, 2 tbsp water and the paprika (or cumin, or whatever your little heart desires) and whisk well.

Add the potatoes to the skillet.  Here you can go two ways, you can fire up a bigger cast iron skillet and add the egg mixture OR you can do what I did and add the egg mixture straight into the frying pan you used.  Basically, now you combine all the ingredients together in a way that works for you.  I didn't include any pictures because this baby was FULL.  It was messy.  I had to be extremely careful not to get this mixture all over the stove.   

(Seriously, I need to invest in bigger cookware.  Fancier cookware.  The issue is, where the heck will I put it?!  Sigh... the life of living in a studio....)

Cook the mixture on medium heat for about a minute and then transfer to your greased baking dish.  I used this 9 by 9. 

 


Transfer to the oven and bake for about 6 to 8 minutes until the eggs are set and the center is slightly runny.  Then broil the top for about a minute.  It should look a little something like this when done.


 

All set!  I ended up topping mine with a bit of freshly grated parmasen cheese and then I devoured as a perfect Saturday lunch.  I froze two portions and ate one the next day.  I have to be honest, I think it tasted even better than next day!

 

What sort of frittata makes your mouth water?

No comments:

Post a Comment