Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Crock Pot Wild Rice & Ham Soup

I'm sure you're not surprised to hear that I'm still obsessed with soups. :) This recipe is delicious and low in calories.

This recipe is modified from another Betty Crocker soup magazine.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups diced ham
3/4 cup wild rice
1 medium or large white onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, julienned
2 cups chicken broth
3 cups of water
1 can of cream of celery soup (about 10.75 oz)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup cashews, halved
2 tablespoons sherry
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Start by greasing your 4-quart slow cooker with oil or cooking spray. Toss in the ham, rice, carrot pieces, chicken broth, water, cream of celery soup, and pepper. Cook covered on low for 7-8 hours.

Mix in the half and half, cashews, sherry, and parsley. Turn up the heat to high, and let these ingredients blend for 15 more minutes.Serve!

I will definitely be making this again.

1 comment:

  1. Made this soup yesterday. It's OK, if you like something very bland. I think it needs an herb. I have an herb chart, but there is no dominant ingredient in this soup that I can use to find an herb - maybe white rice, not wild. I did use Greek yogurt, to cut the fat but, otherwise... If there were a rating system, I'd give it 2 stars. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete