Thursday, February 10, 2011

Spicy Asian Marinated Steak

My bff and college roommate gets a subscription to Cooking Light.  She rips out the recipes she likes and then passes the magazines on to me.  Lucky for me, she doesn't eat the same things I do!

Anyways, I love this recipe.  You will too.  Just a heads up that it calls for a day of marinating.  So plan ahead.  It's ridiculously easy.

  • 2 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
  • 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
Throw your steak into a ziploc bag, add all of the ingredients and close.  Give it a good mixin' and a shakin'.  Place in the fridge.  Pour yourself a glass of hard earned wine.  Maybe throw up your kicks on the coffee table and get to some DVR-ing.  Life should always be this easy.

At some point, be sure to flip over your ziploc bag and give a good shake.

The next day, take out the steak and discard the marinade.  I know, all those ingredients just to be thrown away!  I actually used my leftovers on some pork, so I got two uses out of my mine.  Now, if you have a grill, heat it up and grill away.  Now if you live somewhere where your grilling is limited due to it being buried under snow or you don't have access to a grill because city living entitles you to zero outdoor space, then it's time to pan sear it. 

Heat your pan, then add a tablespoon or so of EVOO.  I did mine about medium high.  Once the oil is HOT, add your steak.  

 

Remember the golden rule when searing:  DO NOT TOUCH.  Let it sear.
 

I'm serious!  Don't touch!  As you can see in my pictures, my oil is starting to smoke.  I'm worried about ruining by best IKEA frying pan.  (insert sarcasm and gift ideas here)  But I soldier on.  There's searing to be done.
 

After five minutes or so, flip.  As you can see, I was hoping for a better sear, but the meat was not flat on the bottom. 

And, at this point, I definitely set off the smoke alarms in my apartment.  Again. 

Five minutes on the other side and PRESTO:  Sear has been achieved.
 

Once your steak is done, let it sit for five minutes or so.  This allows the juices inside to set.  If you slice right away, then will drain all over the plate and you'll miss out. 

I served mine with the world's easiest side.  I cut up a red pepper, purple onion, sugar snap peas and some garlic.  Saute the garlic very briefly, add in your vegetables and saute until soft/crisp.  I LOVED this side dish.  It doesn't need anything fancy, the vegetables just do right by each other. 
 

Slice the meat and serve.  Check out that perfectly seared steak.  I was very impressed with my skills!

Those are homemade sweet potato fries in the back. Amazing.  Recipe to come later.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. FYI...I do read your blog and I didn't want you to help me paint anyway. Officially offended.

    ReplyDelete