Seven months ago, I found myself newly single and moving into a 350 square foot studio apartment in Boston's Beacon Hill. I was a traumatized soul, wondering what the hell I was doing. Confident in the move, but terrified of this new life and this new adjustment. Where there had been safety in two, there was now only me. Unfortunately, I needed to move over 4th of July weekend, so it was basically just me and my friend's Altima. Beacon Hill parking is terrible and I stressed about how I would park, unpack and not get 1,000 tickets over the course of the weekend.
I thought I had my answer in a little gas station across the street called Grampy's. I assessed their little parking lot and figured I could definitely sweet talk my way into me parking off to the side, out of the way, while I moved and unpacked. I approached the guy behind the counter, put on my nicest, sweetest voice and asked if he wouldn't mind helping a sista out. Could I pretty please park right there? I promise I won't be there long and I won't be in the way.
His reaction was so firm and rude that I left Grampy's with tears stinging my eyes. I had not felt so lonely in such a long time. I vowed that I would never, ever, again step foot in Grampy's with a dime of my business. Ever.
And, with the exception of two very rare instances (I needed toilet paper), I have not. When I heard rave reviews about a little Mexican restaurant called Villa Mexico that was actually located inside of Grampy's, I vowed never to go there either. Mexican restaurant? In a gas station? Sounds like a recipe for an increase in toilet paper sales.
Except last night. I worked late. I was hungry and I'd only had a piece of cheesecake for lunch. My fridge is awaiting my suburban grocery shopping trip tonight. I thought about heading to the taco place in the West End, but it was so frigid, I didn't want to veer off course. I decided I would try my best to make use of the spinach I have in the fridge.
Then something came over me and I suddenly decided that I would try the gas station taco joint, Villa Mexico. I walked in at 9:10 and the lady informed me that they closed at 9 pm. However, she was very friendly and offered to make me whatever I wanted. I decided on two chicken tacos for $5.25. I'm not going to lie. She microwaved part of it, threw it on a tortilla press and sprinkled on some shredded cheese. I upgraded with sour cream and guac. The price came to $5.75 and I went home with my gas station tacos.
Unimpressive was my first impression. Two measly tacos. Microwaved. At a gas station. The side of salsa was black and scary looking. For nearly $6. I was beginning to regret this decision. I took a bite, sans salsa. Pretty unimpressive and bland. Then I decided to give the salsa a go and I was taken aback.
Whatever is in the black salsa is amazing. Truly, truly delicious. I housed the salsa covered tacos in a matter of minutes. But I couldn't bear to waste the remaining black salsa, so I heated up some brown rice and mixed it all together with a bit of lime juice and cilantro. So good.
So while I'm not going to rave about this mexican restaurant located in a reject gas station, I will give credit where credit is due. They make a mean ass salsa. You can buy it directly from them for $24.00. However, I think I'll have to start looking for a recipe to recreate it.

I am SOOOO glad that you tried it! Villa Mexico is one one of my all time favorites, but I know it isn't for everyone. I believe that the secret to the black salsa is that they char the ingredients first...yum...
ReplyDeleteI am so curious about this black salsa!
ReplyDeleteI am so curious about this black salsa!
ReplyDeleteI have got to solve the recipe for the salsa! So mouthwatering!
ReplyDeleteThat black salsa sounds sooo interesting and delicious!
ReplyDeleteI think I might try this recipe: http://jaybones.com/recipes/roasted_salsa/index.htm
ReplyDeleteExcept that whole, No Grill thing, could stand in my way. I'll have to research if I could do this in a broiler.