Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tomato and Olive Stuffed Portobellos

Portobello mushrooms are an obsession of mine.  In fact, ANY sort of mushroom is an obsession of mine.  While in NYC two weeks ago, I ordered an appetizer of polenta, stuffed with Gorgonzola, topped with roasted mushrooms and drizzled with balsamic vinegar.  It was amazing.  Drool worthy.  I have been thinking about making it at home ever since, but to be honest, it's amazing how quickly time moves.  I haven't had much time to whip up any masterpieces in the kitchen lately.  I feel as though most of the things I have been cheffing up have been easy, on the fly, weekday meals.  I'm really craving a night in the kitchen, followed by a dinner I am proud of, served to a deserving soul.  But honestly, when the weather is awesome, wouldn't you rather be out dining al fresco?  Or enjoying a glass of wine on the water?

As usual, I digress.  Back to the homemade portobello mushrooms.

Tomato and Olive Stuffed Portobella Mushrooms (as adapted from Eating Well.)
•2/3 cup chopped plum tomatoes
•1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (or mozzeralla)
•1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
•1 teaspoon minced garlic
•2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
•1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/8 teaspoon dried
•1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
•4 portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches wide
•2 tablespoons lemon juice
•2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

You can grill or broil these - so pick your method and fire it up. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cheese, olives, garlic, 1 tsp of the olive oil, pepper and rosemary into a bowl. 

In another bowl, combine 1 tsp of the olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce.  Remove the stems from the caps and wash well.  You can spoon out the gills if you want, but I like these, so I just wash them well.  Pat dry.  Cover in marinade, brushing both sides and toss onto the grill or into your broiler.  Grill until soft, about five minutes. 

Drain any liquids from the caps and then stuff with your tomato/olive mixture.  Back into the broiler or grill they go.  Cook long enough for cheese to melt.

And dinner is served!!  I love arugala, so I served mine with a messy side salad.  I love this vegetarian option.  It's filling and tasty and best of all, very low in calories.  The kalamatas add a nice salty touch and surprisingly, the soy marinade holds up well through the cooking process. 




No comments:

Post a Comment