Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mushroom Hunting

I've been intrigued by mushroom hunting ever since I read Omnivore's Dilemma. Have you read it? No? You should.

The BF took me out hunting for morels mushrooms (morchella esculenta) a few weeks ago in Red Wing, MN, and it was really fun. It was a challenge to find the first morel, but from there, we found lots of them! I'm glad that we found them because I just read that they've been hard to find this year. The BF taught me about the spores and how to properly pick the mushrooms without disturbing future growth.

Readers, are you mushroom hunters?

Here (below) is how we ate our mushrooms during the first meal. I'll post a soup in the near future.

First, you should wash the mushrooms thoroughly and soak them in salt water before cooking.


We modified this recipe.

Ingredients:
Morels (washed and cut in half)
Eggs (the amount depends on how many morels you pick)
Saltine crackers (again, the amount depends on how many morels you can find)
Butter (again, it depends)

Start by beating a couple of eggs. You can always add more eggs if you run out. This is your egg wash. Dip the mushroom halves in the egg wash.



Then, crush about 1 row of crackers to start (add more as needed). Dip the egg-washed shrooms into the crushed crackers.

Once completed coated, they can be sautéed in a pre-heated skillet with 3 tablespoons of butter. We had to keep adding more butter, but I think it's because we had a lot of morels.

Serve!

If you do not own wooded property, you can tag along on guided tours in Minnesota. An event called Fun with Fungi is scheduled for June 18th in Maplewood, MN.

Fun fact- morels are the state mushroom of Minnesota.

3 comments:

  1. I grew up hunting mushrooms in the woods by my parents house every year -- we'd bring back our haul and my great aunt would fry them up. I didn't find out they were a delicacy until a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I feel like I'm part of an elite club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very interesting piece of literature, and so is mushroom hunting! I’m glad that you were able to participate in these kinds of activity. Mushroom hunting is the best way to explore woods and forest while foraging for food. It is an incredible experience. You will have loads of fun on knowing different mushroom species and getting some for your cooking! By the way, you recipe sounds delicious! Remind me to make those for my dinner. :-)

    ReplyDelete