Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff

I'm addicted to the Haymarket Farmer's Market.  Yes, you Bostonians know which one I am talking about.  The one near Fanueil Hall that trashes up the streets and brings that dead fish smell to the city.  Yes, that one.  Now that my typical grocery trip is comprised primarily of produce, I am at an advantage having this market so close to both my work and home.  This market has a reputation for having some less than desirable produce.  In fact, in past experience, I myself have fallen victim to cutting open moldy bell peppers and having produce go bad the very next day.

But I am telling you folks, it's hella cheap.  Insanely cheap.  Out of your mind, are you Shaw's folks fricken' kidding me cheap. 

I have gotten less than desirable produce from Shaw's as well.  And paying $4 for eggplant is hot damn ludacris.

Anyways, long story short.  I grabbed a $20 from the ATM and headed over to Haymarket last Friday.  I left the market with two dollars and about four bags of groceries.  Everything from red/yellow/green peppers to more basil than you can handle to 2 pounds of tomatoes to rosemary to portobello mushrooms and scallions to onions and more.  At Shaw's this loot would have easily run you $30+.  Conservatively.  I love a good deal.  And because I am more familiar with produce now, I can easily spot the good stuff, over the stuff about to expire. 

Haymarket, I love you.

I took those portobellos and whipped up a stroganoff.  Because the real recipe is loaded with butter and sour cream, I adapted it to be less calories.  I barely noticed the difference.

Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff (All recipes.com)
  • 1 tbsp butter or EVOO
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3/4 pound portobello mushrooms, sliced (About two large)
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 16 ounces plain yogurt
  • 4 tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley
  • 8 ounces egg noodle, or other swirly noodle. 
 

Fire up a salted pot of water and get your pasta going.  Once that's going, heat 1 tbsp of butter or EVOO and start sauteing your onions.  Go about five minutes and add in your sliced mushrooms.  Saute until soft, remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.

Add your vegetable broth to the pan and be sure to scrap up all of those scrumptious brown bits from the pan.  Bring this to a boil and let it reduce by about 1/3.

Add back in your onion and mushroom mixture.

 

In a side bowl, mix your yogurt and flour well.  Add to broth mixture.

 

Allow mixture to thicken slightly over a medium to medium low heat.  This should just take a few minutes.  Add in chopped parsley and salt and pepper to your tasting. 

Serve over noodles and presto - dinner is served. 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. It's tricky. Shaw's prices are completely absurd, but I hate the rotten produce that Hay Market vendors always seem to be selling. I've had good luck with Market Basket in Somerville for good, affordable produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!
    I really used to like Haymarket. If you were picky, and used the produce quickly it was a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make this! This looks right up my alley! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Portabello mushrooms are so meaty so I can imagine them being perfect in a stroganoff.

    ReplyDelete