Friday, May 27, 2011

Flatbreads and Flatbread Pizzas

It's Friday!!!!!!!  And gorgeous to boot!  Oh, and three day weekend?  Don't mind if I do!  I hope all of you enjoy your time off this Memorial Day weekend.  I have a very exciting weekend coming up with outdoor drinks, a day of hiking, a picnic, a family BBQ and finally, the Sox game on Monday night.  Can a girl ask for much more?  Hooray!

While I am normally a very organized in my grocery shopping (I go in with a list, I come out with the items on the list, case closed), sometimes I pick up things here and there, without any regard tn how I will eventually use them.  This happened to be the case with a whole wheat pizza dough I spontanously threw into my cart a few weeks back.  Fast forward to last week when I was craving flatbreads and my mind flashed to the frozen pizza dough in my freezer and the rosemary hanging out down below.  Inspiration sprung and presto - homemade flatbreads were born.  Ta-Da!!!!!!

Homemade Flatbreads and Flatbread Pizza:
  • chopped garlic
  • pam cooking spray
  • fresh parmasen
  • onions
  • arugala
  • balsamic vinegar
  • butter spray
  • anything else that calls your name, herbs, cheeses, toppings, get creative
I split my dough into three pieces.  I spread each one out, as thin as could be.  When doing so, see if you can't channel some inner Italian heritage.  I gave whrrrling the dough a good spin, just like I have seen in the movies, but ended up putting a hole in my dough.  Oopps.  And I looked like a bit clumsy.  In the end, I just gently used my hands and fingers to spread it out on a pizza pan.  I finely chopped some rosemary and garlic and sprinkled onto the dough.  Then I used zero calorie butter spray and gave the entire surface a good coating.  If you like calories, you can use the real thing and though I know it's all chemicals, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray is an exception to my guilty conscience. 

Make sure you poke holes into your dough using a fork.  Otherwise, it will puff up and you won't be able to call it flatbread.  Bake on 375 until dough starts to get a bit crispy.  At this point, I used more not really butter spray and sprinkled cheese all over. Back into the oven then went until the cheese melted and browned a bit.




 When it came out, I topped with arugala and drizzled with balsamic vinegar.  I then used all the willpower in the world not to eat this in one sitting.  Glorious. The rosemary infused into the crispy, perfectly crunchy dough and the garlic and cheese all complimented the delicious drizzle of balsamic. Holy Moly... I love flatbread pizzas.  I allowed myself half while I whipped up another flatbread- this time, using some very beautiful caramelized onions in addition to the rosemary and garlic. 

Of course I had to try the caramelized flatbread too, so there was another slice.  And then another.  I was trying to save me some calories, but alas, that backfired.  When all was said and done, I had "accidentally" eaten nearly two plate sized flatbreads.  I shoved the rest into some tinfoil and polished it off the next morning.  Opps.  I suppose these were that good that I was unable to have any self control.

**Note to self:  Apparently, along with ice cream and caramel, sista cannot have flatbreads in the house either.  Like, Whoa.




No comments:

Post a Comment